If you have been charged in New York or New Jersey with driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI), you already know how life changing that can be. Your reputation suffers, you may lose your job and, if you are a divorcing or divorced parent, you may face issues concerning child custody and visitation.
If you are convicted of a DUI/DWI, you face some severe penalties. Whether it is your first DUI/DWI offense or a subsequent one, it will make a difference in the penalties you face. Even in the best case scenario, you may be ordered to go to alcohol and drug rehabilitation programs, face some time in jail and incur a hefty fine. Your driver’s license may be revoked or suspended and you may have an interlock device installed on your car. This means your car will not start until you blow into a tube and have no alcohol at all in your system.
Defenses to a DUI/DWI
In many situations, a DUI or DWI charge is not warranted. An experienced DUI/DWI defense attorney like Anthony M. DeBari will review the circumstances of your case and provide a vigorous defense when warranted. For example:
- There may not have been probable cause to stop your vehicle.
- The roadside sobriety tests are invalid due to circumstances that surrounded the subjective evaluation of the tests.
- The Breathalyzer machine used to test the blood alcohol content (BAC) was not properly calibrated.
- The officer who conducted the BAC tests was not certified and not properly trained.
- The required protocol for the administration of the test was not followed.
- You have a medical condition, such as hypoglycemia, that resulted in a false positive BAC.
- You are on a high protein, low carbohydrate diet that caused a false positive BAC test.
These are just a few of the challenges that can be made to a positive BAC test which resulted in the DUI/DWI charge.
Call the Law Offices of Anthony M. DeBari
At the Law Offices of Anthony M. Debari, we have the experience you need to help you through the legal process. If negotiating for lesser charges and a reduced penalty is in your best interest, we are good negotiators. If a better choice is to take your case to trial, we are experienced trial attorneys you will be glad to have standing by your side. Our offices are located in Woodbridge, New Jersey, and we serve all of New Jersey and New York. Call us today at 732-602-1999 for a free consultation.